QR code success using iPad and iPod touch

Following the flurry of posts in the past few days about using QR codes for learning and particularly Steven Anderson‘s excellent post yesterday about using QR codes with students who don’t have access to mobile devices with cameras, I wondered if I could use my iPad to read the QR codes.

The answer is yes. Although the iPad and the older iPod touch doesn’t have a camera, there are two ways that it can read a QR code. A little messy though it can be, I wanted to prove that it can be done.

Code embedded in website

1. Install the  free Unboxed lite QR code reader app from the App Store to your iPad/iPod touch. (I’m sure others work as well, but this is the one I had success with.)

Screen shot 2010-12-23 at 9.40.12 AM

2. Take a screenshot of the website on the iPad or iPod touch (click home and power buttons at the same time.) I used Steven Anderson’s post from yesterday that set me thinking about how I could access QR codes with an iPad.

photo2

3. Open Unboxed lite and select the screen button (be aware that you might not like some of the ads on Unboxed lite)

photo3

4. Click on “open website” and voila!

Printed Code

If the QR code has been printed out (I used Kaywa for my test printout), here is how you can use your iPad to access the QR code content.

1. Take a photo of the code with any digital camera. (Here is the QR code that I had printed out.)

qrcode

2. Attach the camera to the iPad with the iPad camera connection kit.

3. Import the photo into the iPad.

4. Open Unboxed lite and select the screen image. That will take you to your photos and select the appropriate one.

5. You then are given the website details and to access click on “open website”.

photo1

It is a little messy but it can be done. This may open up the use of QR codes to a wider variety of library patrons and students.

I also highly recommend Gwyneth Jones‘s clever and attractive guide to QR codes for more information.

5 thoughts on “QR code success using iPad and iPod touch

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention QR code success using iPad and iPod touch | The Way Forward -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Activity 7….A Blog With Legs and Bling | CLOUD 9

3. Pingback: Tweets that mention QR code success using iPad and iPod touch | The Way Forward -- Topsy.com