Feed on
Posts
Comments

You’d think the heading of this post would be self-explanatory, wouldn’t you? That “digital natives”, who are supposed to know everything about technology would know better? Wrong.

Last night a young adult did exactly what the title says, hoping to become a YouTube sensation. (You can read a media report here.)

But what about the damage done to his digital footprint? News outlets named the youth and I can’t imagine too many prospective employers, etc. being too impressed with such a stunt. His public boasting via Facebook was another faux pas.

As we know, even when websites, videos, comments, blog posts and more are deleted, they can still be accessed.

We educators obviously have a lot more work to do with our students in terms of digital citizenship and positive digital footprints. If we think that because we might block or ban these tools at school, we can forget about them, then today’s news proves us wrong.

Many of our students know how to use these tools, but not the wide ranging implications that are part and parcel of social media.

4 Responses to “Riding a motorbike through a supermarket is not good for your digital footprint”

1. Hamish C says:

Indeed. Enjoyed a talk today from Will Richardson, who was talking about this very same issue – children understanding, curating, & developing their ‘G-portfolio’: how well they’re ‘googled’. I guess there will always be kids where the stunt & the thrill, & the notoriety far outweigh foresight.

2. jway says:

Yes and it is so easy not to see the implications and negatives when you haven’t learned about them.

3. Tania Sheko says:

I agree with everything you’ve said. Now tell me how we get some class time in a packed curriculum.

4. jway says:

Exactly. I think we need to work with parents on this as well, so maybe outside of school hours?