From little things big things grow?

Today we had the Google Teacher Academy (Sydney) debrief at Mill Park library. About 20 passionate, clever and creative educators took time out from their busy lives to come together to share and to learn, initially about the GTASYD experience. Tania Sheko, Jess McCulloch, Tony Richards, John Thomas and Andrew Williamson presented tools and ideas informally and then we progressed into open discussions unconference style. (Thanks to everyone for making the effort to attend, connect, share and learn.)

What struck me before we wound up was that perhaps we should not only meet up face to face more often, but that we should develop our own professional learning group.

It would be:

• informal
  • free
  • welcome anyone interested
  • supportive
  • cooperative
  • collaborative
  • free of office bearers
  • the group who sets the agenda, if there’s one at all
  • a place where we learn what we want to

People who want to present are more than welcome. People who just want to come along are welcome too. We can all learn from each other and share ideas without feeling the pressure of ‘presenting’ at a conference.

So, who’s up for it?

14 thoughts on “From little things big things grow?

1. Judith, I think you’re onto something. I really enjoyed the energy this afternoon. That kind of discussion and sharing doesn’t happen too often. I’m in. Thanks for making this happen today.

2. Agreed. A lot of energy & breakout conversations indicated that there’s still a lot of digging we could do around this format for a discussion. It almost felt like it could evolve into an unconference, but nice that it felt fluid & practical. Great talents in the room.

3. Thanks to everyone for making it such a success. Without your support and willingness it wouldn’t have happened.

4. Hi Judith

I would love the opportunity to share regularly like this with other like-minded educators…count me in!

Kim 🙂

5. Sounds great – I’m in and would love to go around and visit different libraries – could we build in a tour as well?

Although I will have to check the footy calendar to make sure there were no clashes ;-).

6. Sounds like a great idea. Do you think it would be possible for everyone to pack a picnic hamper one weekend and head out of town. There’s a few of us in Regional Victoria who would love to join the conversation.

7. OK … only just catching up with this now … it was a great afternoon – MANY thanks to all. I’d love to be involved in the future – online PLNs are invaluable … but still can’t beat the extra value you get from a face-to-face encounter.
    Angela xo

8. Yes, meeting up with many of my PLN that I hadn’t met before was really worthwhile. Sometimes when you meet someone from your PLN you can get a bit tongue-tied. But in this environment we could all contribute to a focused discussion.