The draft of this post has been hanging around since April and considering I have the flu, an audioboo is not a great idea… So here goes:
Have you been to an Apple store? I hope so, otherwise this post is going to be pretty meaningless to you!
I’ve been thinking about this comparison for a while and when Jenny Luca tweeted something similar from the #ccaeducause conference a while back, I knew it was finally time to get my thinking down on paper (well, you know what I mean!)
Assuming that you have been to an Apple store, there are lots of comparisons that could be made with libraries.
– They are well designed and inviting spaces.
– The customer service is second-to-none.
– The Genius bar staff are like librarians: expert problem solvers who make you feel valued, not stupid (as some other tech support people/places do).
– Free classes are conducted to help you learn more about your area of interest.
– There’s room for play, browsing and customer service.
– The staff are genuinely passionate about their job.
– Once you leave, you can’t wait to go back.
If you can think of any more examples, I’d love to hear them.