Feed on
Posts
Comments

It’s been remiss of me not to write about the brilliant ASLA conference I attended in October. Held at the magnificent St Ignatius College, Riverview between 2-5 October, the conference was a time to finally meet up with online friends like Stacey Taylor, Marita Thomson, Anne Weaver, Jessica Jorna, Nadia Merchant, Trent McAllan, Chris Betcher and Robyn Knowles and spend time with those I’d already had the privilege to meet like Cathy Oxley, Carmel Galvin, Karen Innes and Anne Whisken (hope I haven’t missed anyone – let me know if I did!) It was also a time to be challenged and informed.

Staying on campus was a great experience as the conversations flowed all day and at dinnertime and beyond. The themed dinner was a lot of fun. It was terrific that lots of people that couldn’t attend followed the conference on Twitter via the #asla2011 tag.

Unfortunately I didn’t arrive in time for Karen Bonanno’s keynote, but you’ll find it here.

Judy O’Connell’s keynote was thoughtful and challenging.

Dean Groom’s keynote was as awesome as the man himself.

ASLA 2011
View more presentations from pmhs

I’m sure all of the delegates learned as much as me and couldn’t wait to get back to school to put some of the ideas into practice. What does worry me are the people who don’t attend these conferences or don’t follow the conversation from home. I know we can’t get to every conference we’d like to, and often following the # and associated links really is the next best thing. But what about the people who don’t do either? How are they being challenged to move with the times?