eBook investigations

One of the things on my 2012 to do list was to investigate eBooks for our library. So far I’ve:

• sent out a survey to students, teachers and parents asking if they have access to eReaders of any type, if they’ve used eBooks before, etc.
  • invited Wheelers, Bolinda, and Jenny Luca (who’ll be talking about her experience as a teacher librarian using Overdrive) and FollettShelf to a network meeting that will be held in Melbourne tomorrow.
  • Asked ReadCloud to demonstrate how we might use their social reading software with our year 9s and 10s who will be receiving a Dell XT3 (tablet and laptop in one) shortly.
FollettShelf cannot attend our meeting tomorrow, but I recorded a demo and Q & A with their Asia/Pacific rep Tim Ramsey last Friday. Some of the questions I asked were:
  • Group pricing, whether for consortia access or simultaneous users ?
  • Which publishers do you have?
  • Fiction and/or non fiction
  • Audiobooks too?
  • Do we own the books?
  • What happens to the books if we don’t renew our agreement with you?
  • Which platforms do you support?
  • Which platforms don’t you support?
  • Pricing as compared to physical books
  • Early return?
  • Set borrowing periods/limits
  • Australian content?
FollettShelf video 1: eBooks and setup

FollettShelf video2: ordering eBooks

FollettShelf video 3: demo of iPad apps – Follett digital reader and Catalist digital audiobooks

FollettShelf video 4 Q & A

If you’d like to contact Tim Ramsey from FollettShelf, you can email him at tramsey@fint.follett.com or arrange a Skype session (tramsey7). As he is located in Japan, our timezones in Australia are quite similar.

Thanks so much to Stacey Taylor, Carmel Galvin and Jenny Luca for passing on vendors, links, etc.