Feed on
Posts
Comments

I had a dream

One night earlier this year, I had a dream where I was hosting the Readers’ Cup State Finals competition in conjunction with my friend and former colleague Reina Phung. Although I had voluntarily assisted SLAV to run the inaugural┬áRC State Finals in 2009, they were no longer able to commit to their role again.

So. taking the dream as inspiration, I talked Reina into assisting me and as a bonus, another friend and former colleague, Jan Connor, came on board as well. We are all part timers with family commitments, so it meant we were able to find the time to meet and plan as well as offer the competition free of charge to schools.

The day of the Readers’ Cup State Finals arrived and it was with much excitement that students and teachers arrived, ready for the competition.

It was terrific to see the team signs the students had made identifying them for the judges, but also showing their creativity and individuality.

We began by asking four questions for the following books:

• Ship Kings – the coming of the whirlpool
  • Dragon Keeper 4 – blood brothers

Then we had our creative round where teams created a digital interpretation of one of the four books studied. These were all so very different and engaging, showing a wide range of skills and creativity. Videos, interviews, videogames, quizzes and more were shown to an appreciative audience.

Rounds three and four encompassed:

• Coraline
  • Diary of a whimpy kid – cabin fever

It was an extremely close competition with the following results (out of a total of 24):

1. Gossip Group (23 points)
  2. Icy Bubbles (22.5 points)
  3. Razzledazzlers of Jazzmatazzles and 8 Grevillia (21 points each)
  4. 8 Fern and Computer Nerds ((20 points each)
  5. Extremely Mad Karate Chimps (18 points)
  6. Super Cool Crystal Jewel (17 points)

Congratulations to all students and their teachers for their hard work and organisation. We hope to see you all (and a few more teams) back again next year!

Huge thanks to Quantum Victoria and Allen and Unwin for their support. Thanks also to Reina Phung and Jan Connor who helped me organise the day. This enabled the Readers’ Cup to be run free of charge for schools.

Some dreams do come true. They may just take a little (or a lot) of work.

2 Responses to “I had a dream”

1. Tania Sheko says:

I’m a bit late with the comment but was just investigating Readers’ Cup. Your hard work and inspiration, and that of your colleagues, have made a big difference to the way young people experience literature. I hope to be able to involve our students next year.

2. jway says:

Thanks Tania. We’d love your students to be involved. We’re happy to do this voluntarily to pass on the importance of reading and also creative collaboration.