Library visit – St Martin of Tours Primary School

Anyone who knows me, knows that I love to visit other school libraries. It’s energising and invigorating to learn how other teacher librarians organise and promote their libraries. And there’s nothing like actually seeing a physical library space to help envisage the way in which learning and teaching occurs within that space.

And what better than to combine a library visit with a catch up with a long time friend and the opportunity to meet, IRL, an online friend from way back?

So it was thanks to Kim Yeomans, who organised a meet up with Louise Brooks and a library visit to St Martin of Tours Primary School. I had been fortunate enough to visit Kim’s library on two occasions previously, but an active and passionate teacher librarian such as Kim is constantly changing and improving everything about the library and what it offer to students, so another visit was more than welcome. To finally meet Louise was brilliant, she is such a wonderful educator and supportive person.

So here are some pictures of Kim’s wonderful library and the work she has done to make it the heart of her school.

Inspiration for young readers

Inspiration for young readers

Ideas for students struggling to find the right book

Hooking children into reading

Hooking children into reading

A challenge for students

A challenge for students

A great way to get students involved in the library

A cute place for 'sick' books

A cute place for ‘sick’ books

A simple, yet effective message

A simple, yet effective message

Fun and attractive signage

Fun and attractive signage

The story chair

The story chair

What a beautiful library

What a beautiful library

Encouraging readers

Encouraging readers

2 thoughts on “Library visit – St Martin of Tours Primary School

1. Hi Judith,

It was lovely to have both you and Louise visit my ‘other home’ – the LRC at St Martin’s. Like you, I also enjoy visiting other libraries and seeing how they ‘tick’. We need a “Travelling Library TeachMeet/Eat”!

I’m lucky to work in a large, modern and flexible learning space, that I certainly don’t take for granted! I try to find different ways to inspire our students to read. Sadly, I wish I had the time to create and change things more often than I have been able to with my increased workload this year.

Thank you for your blog post. I enjoyed seeing our library through your eyes…

Kim 🙂

2. Thanks for your comment Kim. I love the idea of the travelling teach/eat meet!

Your school community, particularly your students are fortunate to have a teacher librarian at their school, particularly one of your calibre, with such a passion for sharing your love of books and reading (amongst other things!).

Congratulations on making a difference to the lives of so many people.