Librarians in popular culture – Monsters’ University

In one iteration of my thesis, I was researching the way in which the role of the librarian is portrayed in popular culture. I’d seen references to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Ghostbusters, The Mummy and The Mummy Returns to name just a few. However, one day when I had nothing better to do (oh yeah), I watched Monsters’ University, the prequel to Monsters Inc. I was surprised to discover that there was a librarian portrayed, but had not seen any reference to it amongst the academic or popular culture writings on librarians.

So this little bonus vignette caught my eye as multi award winning Pixar Films can do some interesting stuff. However, my fantasy was then completely shattered as the worn out and age-old stereotype of the librarian was wheeled out, yet again. Have a look at the library scene for yourself.

That’s right, the stereotypical unattractive female librarian, who in this case isn’t a dragon or a witch, but a monster, only exists to fling students out of the library if they dare make a noise. Her depiction by Pixar demonstrates the laziness of filmmakers who use such stereotypes for a shortcut to laughs.